I just more or less realized tonight hat I hadn’t been to see a new movie in forever because there hasn’t been a decent movie in like … forever …. All of the recent movies have either been unsophisticated comedies, emotional melodramas, or political For lack of a better place …. I wanted to make a mental note of some films coming out in the next few months that I actually have been looking forward to, and hope don’t suck!
- I am Legend — the remake of The Omega Man with Will Smith taking over Charlton Heston’s role: scientist destroys all of humanity, scientist thinks he is sole survivor, scientist fights mutated zombies. Fun for the whole family. December 14.
- Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem — if the previews are any indicator (two heads being blown into small bits, an alien invading a little kids room to maul daddy), then this movie may be the best since Aliens 21 years ago. The last Alien vs. Predator film wasn’t really bad, but was far from really good. December 25 … if you call to wish me a merry Christmas on the 26th, and I’m not in, you know where I am. If you call on the 27th and I’m not home, it was really good!
- Cloverfield — OK, I don’t even know if I want to see this because no one on Earth (possibly including the cast) knows what this film is about. Supposedly, it documents a Godzilla-like attack on New York, from the perspective of survivors. January 18
Insert: late winter/early spring
- Iron Man — yes, I have waited 20+ years for this one, and I will be upset big time if it goes down in flames. May 2
- Speed Racer — the trailer shows this as a quasi-animated almost Roger Rabbit kind of a thing. I was never more than a passing fan, but this shows some visual promise at least. May 9.
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull — I saw Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on the day it opened … right after taking my last final exam as a high school student … a LONG time coming! May 23.
- The Dark Knight — I’m batman … July 18.